My mother bore me in the southern wild,
我妈妈生我在南方荒凉的地方,
And I am black, but O my soul is white!
我黑,可是啊!我的灵魂洁白;
White as an angel is the English child,
白得像天使的是英国人的孩子,
But I am black, as if bereaved of light.
可我黑,黑得好像失去了光彩。
My mother taught me underneath a tree,
在白昼的暑热中,妈妈坐着,
And, sitting down before the heat of day,
在一棵树下面她谆谆教导我;
She took me on her lap and kissèd me,
她将我抱在膝上,把我亲吻,
And, pointing to the East, began to say:
她指着东方,开始对我诉说。
‘Look on the rising sun: there God does live,
“看升起的太阳!那儿住着上帝,
And gives His light, and gives His heat away,
他放射出光明,放射出热;
And flowers and trees and beasts and men receive
花草树木、飞禽走兽和人们
Comfort in morning, joy in the noonday.
清晨得安慰,正午时分得欢乐。
‘And we are put on earth a little space,
“我们被安置在一块小小的天地,
That we may learn to bear the beams of love;
我们可学着感受爱的光辉;
And these black bodies and this sunburnt face
而这黑黑的肢体,晒黑的面容,
Are but a cloud, and like a shady grove.
只是一片云,也像是多荫的树丛。
‘For, when our souls have learned the heat to bear,
“当我们的灵魂学会忍受暑热,
The cloud will vanish, we shall hear His voice,
那云会消散,他将召唤我们:
Saying, “Come out from the grove, my love and care,
‘走出树林来吧,我的爱和担忧,
And round my golden tent like lambs rejoice.”’
羔羊般快乐地围着我金色的帐篷。’”
Thus did my mother say, and kissed me,
妈妈亲着我,对我说了这些话。
And thus I say to little English boy.
我便这样对英国人的孩子谈讲:
When I from black, and he from white cloud free,
当我从黑云、他从白云 [2] 得到解放,
And round the tent of God like lambs we joy,
羔羊般快乐地围着上帝的篷帐,
I’ll shade him from the heat till he can bear
我会为他遮阴,到他能忍受热,
To lean in joy upon our Father’s knee;
能够快乐地倚着父亲 [3] 的膝盖;
And then I’ll stand and stroke his silver hair,
我将站着,抚摸着他的银发,
And be like him, and he will then love me.
变得像他一样,得到他的爱。