One morning, my back against fallen branches
一天早晨,我背靠落枝
I write: hello, son of the desert,
寫一封私人信件:你好,沙漠之子
hello, dear fish fin.
你好,親愛的魚鰭
At noon I seal the letter,
到了中午,我把信封好
tie it to the wind’s neck. I trust wind
系在風的脖頸。我寧願相信風
more than homing-pigeons,
也不願相信信鴿,信鴿總是
their flocks all alike.
相似的,成群的
Wind’s alone, though not perfect.
風獨來獨往,可並不完美
Coming or going, it says only
每當它路過或只是到達,它總會說
Ah, I’m here.
哦,我來了
Hello, grass root.
你好,草根
Hello, middle-aged woman out of work.
你好,失業的中年女人
My room is a wooden chair with broken legs.
我的房間是一把斷腿的木椅
I stand, even at night.
我只能站著,即使在黑夜
My city’s pieced together from copies.
我住的城市則是一些拼湊起來的
The truth is
複制品。我看到的實情是:
everyone’s starving, yet all
人人都在鬧饑荒,人人都做出
walk around with pot bellies,
飽餐饜足大腹便便的樣子
pretending they’re well-fed.
當我從夜裏醒來,我像一支鋼筆
When I wake in the dark
浸泡在夜的濃墨裏——
I’m a pen dipped in night’s thick ink.
僅僅寫信,就要繞許多圈子
Writing a letter, I have to get past many difficulties:
我必須繞過被老鼠咬壞的
mouse-gnawed envelopes,
信封,潮濕的郵票,
damp stamps,
和極易寫錯的漢字
words I easily miswrite.
我已經注意到,一封沒有錯別字的信
I’ve noticed: a letter, even without mistakes or misspellings,
並不能使一個地址
can’t easily or safely
更悠閑,或更健康
compose its own address.