我工作的房间是方形的如半副骰子。
The room I work in is as foursquare
一张木桌,一幅农夫的侧面肖像,
as half a pair of dice.
一把松松垮垮的扶手椅,一只茶壶
It holds a wooden table
撅着哈布斯堡王朝时代的嘴。
with a stubborn peasant’s profile,
从窗口我看见几棵枯瘦的树,
a sluggish armchair, and a teapot’s
几丝云彩,几个总是快乐而喧闹的儿童。
pouting Hapsburg’s lip.
有时候,挡风玻璃在远处闪烁
From the window I see a few skinny trees,
更高处,一架飞机银色的外壳闪过。
wispy clouds, and toddles,
显然,在我工作,在我
always happy and loud.
于地上或空中寻求冒险的时候,
Sometimes a windshield glints in the distance
别的人也没有浪费时间。
or, higher up, an airplane’s silver husk.
我工作的房间是一只相机的暗盒。
Clearly others aren’t wasting time
而我的工作是什么——静静的等待,
while I work, seeking adventures
翻动书本,耐心的沉思。
on earth or in the air.
我缓慢地写作仿佛我会活上二百年。
The room I work in is a camera obscura.
我寻求不存在的形象,
And what is my work -
如果存在,它们也是打皱的、隐蔽的
waiting motionless.
如夏天的衣服在冬天,
flipping pages, patient meditation,
当严寒刺痛嘴唇。
passivities not pleasing
我梦想完美的入定如果我找到它
to that judge with the greedy gaze.
我一定停止呼吸。
I write as slowly as if I’ll live two hundred years.
也许是好的,我只做完了这么一点点。
I seek images that don’t exist,
毕竟,我听到了第一场雪。
and if they do they’re crumpled and concealed
like summer clothes in winter,
when frost stings the mouth.
I dream of perfect concentration; if I found it
I’d surely stop breathing.
maybe it’s good I get so little done.
But after all, I hear the first snow hissing,
the frail melody of daylight,
and the city’s gloomy rumble.
I drink from a small spring,
my thirst exceeds the ocean.