The room I work in is as foursquare
我工作的房间是方形的如半副骰子。
as half a pair of dice.
一张木桌,一幅农夫的侧面肖像,
It holds a wooden table
一把松松垮垮的扶手椅,一只茶壶
with a stubborn peasant’s profile,
撅着哈布斯堡王朝时代的嘴。
a sluggish armchair, and a teapot’s
从窗口我看见几棵枯瘦的树,
pouting Hapsburg’s lip.
几丝云彩,几个总是快乐而喧闹的儿童。
From the window I see a few skinny trees,
有时候,挡风玻璃在远处闪烁
wispy clouds, and toddles,
更高处,一架飞机银色的外壳闪过。
always happy and loud.
显然,在我工作,在我
Sometimes a windshield glints in the distance
于地上或空中寻求冒险的时候,
or, higher up, an airplane’s silver husk.
别的人也没有浪费时间。
Clearly others aren’t wasting time
我工作的房间是一只相机的暗盒。
while I work, seeking adventures
而我的工作是什么——静静的等待,
on earth or in the air.
翻动书本,耐心的沉思。
The room I work in is a camera obscura.
我缓慢地写作仿佛我会活上二百年。
And what is my work -
我寻求不存在的形象,
waiting motionless.
如果存在,它们也是打皱的、隐蔽的
flipping pages, patient meditation,
如夏天的衣服在冬天,
passivities not pleasing
当严寒刺痛嘴唇。
to that judge with the greedy gaze.
我梦想完美的入定如果我找到它
I write as slowly as if I’ll live two hundred years.
我一定停止呼吸。
I seek images that don’t exist,
也许是好的,我只做完了这么一点点。
and if they do they’re crumpled and concealed
毕竟,我听到了第一场雪。
like summer clothes in winter,
when frost stings the mouth.
I dream of perfect concentration; if I found it
I’d surely stop breathing.
maybe it’s good I get so little done.
But after all, I hear the first snow hissing,
the frail melody of daylight,
and the city’s gloomy rumble.
I drink from a small spring,
my thirst exceeds the ocean.