The moment when, after many years
那一刻,当你历经多年
of hard work and a long voyage
辛劳,又走过漫长的旅程,
you stand in the centre of your room,
终于站在自己房间的中央,
house, half-acre, square mile, island, country,
knowing at last how you got there,
站在自己的房子、半英亩土地、
and say, I own this,
一平方英里区域、岛屿、国家中央,
终于明白自己是如何来到这里,
is the same moment when the trees unloose
于是说:这一切归我所有,
their soft arms from around you,
the birds take back their language,
也就在同一个时刻,树木松开
the cliffs fissure and collapse,
环抱着你的柔软手臂,
the air moves back from you like a wave
鸟儿收回它们的语言,
and you can't breathe.
悬崖裂开、坍塌,
空气像潮水一样从你身边退去
No, they whisper. You own nothing.
而你无法呼吸。
You were a visitor, time after time
climbing the hill, planting the flag, proclaiming.
不,它们低声说。你一无所有。
We never belonged to you.
你只是一个访客。一次又一次,
You never found us.
爬上山坡,插下旗帜,宣布占领。
It was always the other way round.
可我们从来不属于你。
你也从未发现我们。
事情从来都是反过来的。