Sonnet Written upon the Top of Ben Nevis约翰·济慈

作于本·尼维斯山上刘道沖 译


Read me a lesson, Muse, and speak it loud
在尼维斯山顶上,笼罩着烟云,
  Upon the top of Nevis, blind in mist!
缪斯啊,请高声言讲,向我指教!
I look into the chasms, and a shroud
我向坑谷中望去,一团氤氲的
  Vapourous doth hide them,--just so much I wist
水汽将其遮蔽,——正如我知道的
Mankind do know of hell; I look o'erhead,

  And there is sullen mist,--even so much
人类对地狱的认知;我抬头仰观,
Mankind can tell of heaven; mist is spread
一片愁云惨雾,——又恰似
  Before the earth, beneath me,--even such,
人类对天堂的描述;云雾覆满了
Even so vague is man's sight of himself!
我下方的土地,——正如此,
  Here are the craggy stones beneath my feet,--

Thus much I know that, a poor witless elf,
人们审视自我也是如此模糊不清!
  I tread on them,--that all my eye doth meet
这里我的脚下都是嶙峋的岩石,——
Is mist and crag, not only on this height,
我十分知道自己像个无知的精灵
But in the world of thought and mental might!
践足在山石上,——我目力所至

皆是雾霭与峭壁,不仅是在这高山,
更是在思想与精神的世界面前!


1838
2022.2.13
添加译本