The last two sherpas were the strongest,
最后的两个夏尔巴人是最强的两个
faithful companions, their faces wind-peeled,
他们是忠诚的队友,被风剥蚀的面孔,
streaked with soot and glacier-light on the snowfield
一道道煤烟,一道道冰川的光。
below the summit where we stopped to rest.
在顶峰下面的雪地
我们停步休息。
The first was my body, snug in its cap of lynx-
fur, smelling of yak butter and fine mineral dirt,
第一个是我的身体,舒服地戴着猞猁皮帽,
agile, impetuous, broad-shouldered,
浑身酥油和细矿土的味道
alive to the frozen bite of oxygen in the larynx.
灵活,鲁莽,肩膀宽宽,
在咬人喉咙的氧气中生龙活虎。
The second was my intellect, dour and thirsty,
furrowing its fox-like brow, my calculating brain
第二个是我的智慧,阴郁而又饥渴,
searching for some cairn or chasm to explain
狐狸一样的额头上道道耕痕,我的精于计算的大脑,
my decision to send them back without me.
正在找寻玛尼堆或者沉坑,
来解释我让他们回去,我一人独自留下的原因。
Looking down from the next, ax-cleft serac
I saw them turn and dwindle and felt unafraid.
从刀劈斧砍的冰峰往下看
Blind as a diamond, sun-pure and rarefied,
我看到他们转身,远去,并未感到害怕。
whatever I was then, there was no turning back.
像钻石一样瞎,被太阳提纯被空气稀释,
不管我当时是什么,我都已经不能回头。