最后的两个夏尔巴人是最强的两个
The last two sherpas were the strongest,
他们是忠诚的队友,被风剥蚀的面孔,
faithful companions, their faces wind-peeled,
一道道煤烟,一道道冰川的光。
streaked with soot and glacier-light on the snowfield
在顶峰下面的雪地
below the summit where we stopped to rest.
我们停步休息。
The first was my body, snug in its cap of lynx-
第一个是我的身体,舒服地戴着猞猁皮帽,
fur, smelling of yak butter and fine mineral dirt,
浑身酥油和细矿土的味道
agile, impetuous, broad-shouldered,
灵活,鲁莽,肩膀宽宽,
alive to the frozen bite of oxygen in the larynx.
在咬人喉咙的氧气中生龙活虎。
The second was my intellect, dour and thirsty,
第二个是我的智慧,阴郁而又饥渴,
furrowing its fox-like brow, my calculating brain
狐狸一样的额头上道道耕痕,我的精于计算的大脑,
searching for some cairn or chasm to explain
正在找寻玛尼堆或者沉坑,
my decision to send them back without me.
来解释我让他们回去,我一人独自留下的原因。
Looking down from the next, ax-cleft serac
从刀劈斧砍的冰峰往下看
I saw them turn and dwindle and felt unafraid.
我看到他们转身,远去,并未感到害怕。
Blind as a diamond, sun-pure and rarefied,
像钻石一样瞎,被太阳提纯被空气稀释,
whatever I was then, there was no turning back.
不管我当时是什么,我都已经不能回头。