Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
仰望着群星,我很清楚,
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
即便我下了地狱,它们也不会在乎,
But on earth indifference is the least
但在这尘世,人或兽类的无情
We have to dread from man or beast.
我们最不必去担心。
How should we like it were stars to burn
当星辰以一种我们无以回报的
With a passion for us we could not return?
激情燃烧着,我们怎能心安理得?
If equal affection cannot be,
倘若爱不可能有对等,
Let the more loving one be me.
愿我是爱得更多的那人。
Admirer as I think I am
自认的仰慕者如我这般,
Of stars that do not give a damn,
星星们都不会瞧上一眼,
I cannot, now I see them, say
此刻看着它们,我不能
I missed one terribly all day.
说自己整天思念着一个人。
Were all stars to disappear or die,
倘若星辰都已殒灭或消失无踪,
I should learn to look at an empty sky
我会学着观看一个空无的天穹,
And feel its total dark sublime,
并感受它全然暗黑的庄严,
Though this might take me a little time.
尽管这会花去我些许的时间。