你说:“我一定能找到另一座更美的城市,
You said: “I’ll find a new land, find another sea—
另一块土地,另一片海洋,
A new city’ll turn up, a better one than this.
因为我在这里的每一次努力都注定失败,
Every effort I make is condemned, turns out amiss,
我的心在死亡,
While my heart, like a corpse, lies buried deep,
就像我无限忧伤的思绪一样。
And my mind—how long will my mind stay sunk in stagnant sleep?
回顾往昔,只看到我生活中阴暗的废墟,
Here, wherever I look, wherever I turn my gaze
还有在这里度过或荒废的时光。”
I see the blackened wreck of all my days,
So many years spent, ruined, lost by me.”
你将找不到另一块土地和另一片海洋,
这座城市将永远在你心底埋藏。
There are no new places you’ll find, you’ll catch no other tide.
你将回到原来的街巷。
This city will follow you. The streets you tread
你将在原来的市郊衰老;
Will be the same, it’s in these same houses your head
在原来的房屋变得白发苍苍。
Will turn grey, in the same neighborhoods that you’ll age.
因为城市总是那同一座,你不必另外寻找。
Always you’ll end up in this city. Don’t hope to turn the page
——因为它不存在,既没有通路也没有舟桨。
To an Elsewhere for which there’s no ship for you, no road shows clear.
在这里失去的生活,
Just as you destroyed your life back here
你已经将它毁掉,在整个大地上。
In this tiny retreat, so you ruined it world-wide.