你说:“我一定能找到另一座更美的城市,
You said, “I will go to another place, to another shore.
另一块土地,另一片海洋,
Another city can be found that’s better than this.
因为我在这里的每一次努力都注定失败,
All that I struggle for is doomed, condemned to failure;
我的心在死亡,
and my heart is like a corpse interred.
就像我无限忧伤的思绪一样。
How long will my mind stagger under this misery?
回顾往昔,只看到我生活中阴暗的废墟,
Wherever I turn, wherever I look
还有在这里度过或荒废的时光。”
I see the blackened ruins of my life,
which for years on end I squandered and wrecked and ravaged”.
你将找不到另一块土地和另一片海洋,
这座城市将永远在你心底埋藏。
You will find no other place, no other shores.
你将回到原来的街巷。
This city will possess you, and you’ll wander the same
你将在原来的市郊衰老;
streets. In these same neighborhoods you’ll grow old;
在原来的房屋变得白发苍苍。
in these same houses you’ll turn gray.
因为城市总是那同一座,你不必另外寻找。
Always you’ll return to this city. Don’t even hope for another.
——因为它不存在,既没有通路也没有舟桨。
There’s no boat for you, there’s no other way out.
在这里失去的生活,
In the way you’ve destroyed your life here,
你已经将它毁掉,在整个大地上。
in this little corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere else.