你说:“我一定能找到另一座更美的城市,
You said: "I shall go to some other land, I shall go to some other sea.
另一块土地,另一片海洋,
Another city there must be, better than this.
因为我在这里的每一次努力都注定失败,
My every effort here is a sentence of condemnation against me,
我的心在死亡,
and my heart—like a corpse—lies buried.
就像我无限忧伤的思绪一样。
How long shall my mind remain smothered in this blight?
回顾往昔,只看到我生活中阴暗的废墟,
Wherever I turn my eye, wherever I look,
还有在这里度过或荒废的时光。”
I see the black ruins of my life
where I spent and spoiled and ruined so many years."
你将找不到另一块土地和另一片海洋,
这座城市将永远在你心底埋藏。
Fresh lands you shall not find, you shall not find other seas.
你将回到原来的街巷。
The city shall ever follow you.
你将在原来的市郊衰老;
In streets you shall wander that are the same streets and
在原来的房屋变得白发苍苍。
grow old in quarters that are the same
因为城市总是那同一座,你不必另外寻找。
and among these very same houses you shall turn grey.
——因为它不存在,既没有通路也没有舟桨。
You shall always be returning to the city. Hope not;
在这里失去的生活,
there is no ship to take you to other lands, there is no road.
你已经将它毁掉,在整个大地上。
You have so spoiled your life here in this tiny corner
that you have ruined it in all the world.