1露宿西斯的洛森林
Siawashing It Out Once in Siuslaw Forest
我睡在杜鹃花下
I slept under rhododendron
整晚落英纷纷
All night blossoms fell
躺在一张硬纸壳上发抖
Shivering on a sheet of cardboard
双脚伸进背包里
Feet stuck in my pack
双手插进衣兜里
Hands deep in my pockets
几乎不能入睡。
Barely able to sleep.
我记起学生时代
I remembered when we were in school
一起睡在一张温暖的大床上
Sleeping together in a big warm bed
我们曾是最年轻的恋人。
We were the youngest lovers
分手时我们都才19岁。
When we broke up we were still nineteen.
现在我们的朋友都结婚了
Now our friends are married
你又回到东部教书
You teach school back east
我并不在乎这样生活
I dont mind living this way
绿色的群山漫长的蓝色海岸。
Green hills the long blue beach
但有时在露天睡觉
But sometimes sleeping in the open
我就会想起曾经拥有你。
I think back when I had you.
2禅寺春夜
A Spring Night in Shokoku-ji
八年前的这个五月
Eight years ago this May
晚上我们漫步在俄勒岗
We walked under cherry blossoms
一个花园的樱花树下。
At night in an orchard in Oregon.
那时我想要的一切
All that I wanted then
现在全忘了,除了你。
Is forgotten now, but you.
在这夜色中
Here is the night
在古都的花园中
In a garden of the old capital
我感到了幽灵的颤动
I feel the trembling ghost of Yugao
我记起你沁凉的胴体
I remember your cool body
在一件棉织的夏裙下裸露。
Naked under a summer cotton dress.
3禅寺秋日拂晓
An Autumn Morning in Shokoku-ji
昨夜观看昂宿座
Last night watching the Pleiades,
月光里,呼吸如烟
Breath smoking in the moonlight,
痛苦的回忆像从胃里涌上来的食物
Bitter memory like vomit
卡住喉咙。
Choked my throat.
我打开睡袋
I unrolled a sleeping bag
铺在走廊席子上
On mats on the porch
在秋夜的繁星下。
Under thick autumn stars.
梦中你出现
In dream you appeared
(这是九年当中的第三次)
(Three times in nine years)
野蛮、冰冷、指责着我。
Wild, cold, and accusing.
我羞愧地醒来,感到恼怒
I woke shamed and angry:
没有必要的内心斗争。
The pointless wars of the heart.
天快亮了。金星和木星
Almost dawn. Venus and Jupiter.
我第一次看到
The first time I have
它们靠得那么近。
Ever seen them close.
4十二月在亚瑟*
December at Yase
你说,那年十月
You said, that October,
在果园边高高的干草垛上
In the tall dry grass by the orchard
当你选择了解脱
When you chose to be free,
“某日重新爱,也许是十年光景。”
"Again, someday, maybe ten years."
大学毕业后,我见过
After college I saw you
你一次,已经陌生。
One time. You were strange.
而我正痴迷于别的念头。
And I was obsessed with a plan.
现在十多年的时光已经
流走:我一直都知道
Now ten years and more have
你在哪里
Gone by: I've always known
我可以凭着重获
where you where—
爱情的希望去找你
I might have gone to you
你一直是单身。
Hoping to win your love back.
You still are single.
我没有。
我想我必须这样维持下去。我
I didn't.
就这样做了。
I thought I must make it alone. I
Have done that.
只有在梦里,像今天拂晓
我们年轻的恋情
Only in dream, like this dawn,
以严峻、令人敬畏的强度
Does the grave, awed intensity
返回我的精神、我的肉体
Of our young love
Return to my mind, to my flesh.
我们有过别人全部的
渴念与欲求:
We had what the others
我们把它留给了十九岁。
All crave and seek for;
We left it behind at nineteen.
我感到老掉牙了,尽管我
有过许多种生活,
I feel ancient, as though I had
并且也许绝不是现在知道的
Lived many lives.
如果我是傻瓜
或者做过那些
And may never now know
我命运要求的。
If I am a fool
Or have done what my
karma demands.