抬头望星星,我很清楚,
Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
若它们愿意,我可以下地狱,
That, for all they care, I can go to hell,
但在尘世上冷漠是人类或野兽
But on earth indifference is the least
最不令我们感到可怕的东西。
We have to dread from man or beast.
要是星星用我们不能回报的激情
How should we like it were stars to burn
为我们燃烧,我们有何话说?
With a passion for us we could not return?
如果感情不能平等,
If equal affection cannot be,
让那爱得更多的是我。
Let the more loving one be me.
虽然我常觉得我
Admirer as I think I am
是星星的仰慕者,它们并不在乎;
Of stars that do not give a damn,
不过现在看到它们,我也不能说
I cannot, now I see them, say
我整天把一颗想得好苦。
I missed one terribly all day.
要是所有星星都殒落或失踪,
Were all stars to disappear or die,
我将学会眺望一个虚无的天空
I should learn to look at an empty sky
并感到它那全然黑暗的庄严,
And feel its total dark sublime,
虽然这可能要花我一点儿时间。
Though this might take me a little time.