哀伤的少女赵萝蕤,  张子清 译

La Figlia Che PiangeT. S. Eliot

O quam te memoremVirgo...


小姐,我应该怎样称呼你?
Stand on the highest pavement of the stair—
你站在台阶的最高层——
Lean on a garden urn—
斜倚着一个花坛
Weave, weave the sunlight in your hair—
织吧,编织你头发里的阳光——
Clasp your flowers to you with a pained surprise—
抱紧你胸口的花朵吧,你的脸色
Fling them to the ground and turn
显得又惊又苦,
With a fugitive resentment in your eyes:
把它们扔在地上,两眼
But weave, weave the sunlight in your hair.
充满着瞬息便逝的怨恨,

但是织吧,编织你头发里的阳光。
So I would have had him leave,

So I would have had her stand and grieve,
我还是要他离开,
So he would have left
我还是让她站在这里悲哀,
As the soul leaves the body torn and bruised,
他是会走的
As the mind deserts the body it has used.
正像灵魂离开了又破又烂的肉体,
I should find
正像头脑离开了它利用过的肉体。
Some way incomparably light and deft,
我会找到
Some way we both should understand,
某种无比轻佻浮滑的办法
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand.
找到我俩都能理解的办法,

既简单又轻率,像一个微笑,和一只手的摆动。
She turned away, but with the autumn weather

Compelled my imagination many days,
她回过头去,带走了那金秋的天气
Many days and many hours:
逼得我好多日子都在想象,
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers.
好多日子,好多个小时:
And I wonder how they should have been together!
她的头发披在肩上,她怀里抱满了花。
I should have lost a gesture and a pose.
我不明白他们在一起时是什么样子!
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
我大概已错过了一个手势一个体态。
The troubled midnight and the noon’s repose.
这些思虑有时候仍然使
不安的午夜与静寂的正午感到惊讶。


1917
添加译本