Ginkgo, cottonwood, pin oak, sweet gum, tulip tree:
银杏、杨木、针栎、香枫、百合树:
our emotions resemble leaves and alive
我们滋长的情感像叶子
to their shapes we are nourished.
活在自己的形状里。
Have you felt the expanse and contours of grief
在高大的挪威枫边缘,你有没有感觉到
along the edges of a big Norway maple?
浓浓的忧伤的轮廓?
Have you winced at the orange flare
你是否因为橙色火焰
searing the curves of a curling dogwood?
在北美山茱萸卷起的花瓣上燃烧而退缩?
I have seen from the air logged islands,
我从空中看到过树木被砍伐的岛屿,
each with a network of branching gravel roads,
都有碎石小路,交错如网,
and felt a moment of pure anger, aspen gold.
我感到片刻纯粹的愤怒,山杨般金黄。
I have seen sandhill cranes moving in an open field,
我曾看到沙丘鹤漫步旷野,
a single white whooping crane in the flock.
鹤群中一只白鹤在鸣叫。
And I have traveled along the contours
我曾行走于那些
of leaves that have no name. Here
无名叶子的边缘,
where the air is wet and the light is cool,
这里空气潮湿,寒光凛冽。
I feel what others are thinking and do not speak,
我感觉到别人想到,却没有说出的东西,
I know pleasure in the veins of a sugar maple,
我熟知一棵糖枫叶脉里的欣喜,
I am living at the edge of a new leaf.
我正活在一片新叶的边缘。