"Begone, thou fond presumptuous Elf,"
“滚开,你这莽撞的小东西!”
Exclaimed an angry Voice,
我听到厉声叫喊,
"Nor dare to thrust thy foolish self
“你怎敢愣头愣脑,在这里
Between me and my choice!"
把我的去路阻拦!”
A small Cascade fresh swoln with snows
下雪后,小瀑布刚刚涨了水,
Thus threatened a poor Briar-rose,
就这样吓唬可怜的野蔷薇;
That, all bespattered with his foam,
野蔷薇周身溅满了飞沫,
And dancing high and dancing low,
它忽上忽下,颤动摇摆——
Was living, as a child might know,
像晦气人家委屈的小孩,
In an unhappy home.
日子真不大好过。
"Dost thou presume my course to block?
“你怎敢堵在我路上?小东西!
Off, off! or, puny Thing!
滚开!再不滚,我就
I'll hurl thee headlong with the rock
踢翻你扎根的石块,叫你
To which thy fibres cling."
头朝下栽个跟头!”
The Flood was tyrannous and strong;
凶猛的洪流冲撞不休,
The patient Briar suffered long,
野蔷薇耐着性子忍受,
Nor did he utter groan or sigh,
既不叹一声,也不哼一下,
Hoping the danger would be past;
只盼望平安度过这险境;
But, seeing no relief, at last
后来,见瀑布毫不留情,
He ventured to reply.
便壮起胆子回答。
"Ah!" said the Briar, "blame me not;
野蔷薇说道:“你别来找碴儿,
Why should we dwell in strife?
咱们何苦要吵架?
We who in this sequestered spot
想当初,在这背静的旮旯儿,
Once lived a happy life!
你和我多么融洽!
You stirred me on my rocky bed—
夏天里,石床上,你把我摇晃,
What pleasure through my veins you spread
摇得我周身筋脉都欢畅;
The summer long, from day to day,
一天又一天,我片片绿叶
My leaves you freshened and bedewed;
被你滋润得舒爽清新;
Nor was it common gratitude
我呢,对你这一片好心,
That did your cares repay.
也用盛情来答谢。
"When spring came on with bud and bell,
“当花朵含苞,春天来到,
Among these rocks did I
我便在山石中间
Before you hang my wreaths to tell
把花冠戴好,向你通报:
That gentle days were nigh!
艳阳天近在眼前!
And in the sultry summer hours
夏天里,我在燥热的时辰,
I sheltered you with leaves and flowers;
用花儿和叶子给你遮阴;
And in my leaves—now shed and gone,
叶子呵,如今已零落满地,
The linnet lodged, and for us two
那时却引得红雀来栖身,
Chanted his pretty songs, when you
为我们唱出宛转的清音;
Had little voice or none.
你那时没什么声息。
"But now proud thoughts are in your breast—
“如今你变得心高气傲,
What grief is mine you see,
眼见我遭罪受苦,
Ah! would you think, even yet how blest
怎么不想想:咱俩在一道,
Together we might be!
能过得多么舒服!
Though of both leaf and flower bereft,
尽管我花儿叶子都落尽,
Some ornaments to me are left—
却也留下了光鲜的装饰品——
Rich store of scarlet hips is mine,
蔷薇果,红通通,又密又多;
With which I, in my humble way,
我待人温顺,如今在冬天,
Would deck you many a winter day,
拿这些红果子把你来装点,
A happy Eglantine!"
野蔷薇也就快活!”
What more he said I cannot tell,
它是否还说了别的,不清楚;
The Torrent down the rocky dell
瀑布轰鸣着,奔下石谷;
Came thundering loud and fast;
别的我不曾听见;
I listened, nor aught else could hear;
野蔷薇在发抖;我真害怕——
The Briar quaked—and much I fear
惟恐它方才说的那番话
Those accents were his last.
会是它最后遗言。