我发现自己在黑森林中间,
Midway upon the journey of our life
迷失了向前的正路。
I found myself within a forest dark,
啊呀!那真是难以形容
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.
这森林是那么蛮荒,艰险,可怖,
Ah me! How hard a thing it is to say
一想到就使我害怕。
What was this forest savage, rough, and stern,
那样的难受,比死好不了多少;
Which in the very thought renewed my fear.
不过,叙述我在那里所看到的,
So bitter is it, death is little more:
另外的事也会有些好处。
But of the good to treat, which there I found,
我不清楚记得怎地进到那里。
Speak will I of the other things I saw there.
因为当时我十分困倦,
I cannot well repeat how there I entered,
以至于失去了正路。
So full was I of slumber at the moment
但我到了一个山脚之后,
In which I had abandoned the true way.
山谷就终止于此,
But after I had reached a mountain's foot,
所受的惊恐刺破我的心,
At that point where the valley terminated,
向上望去,我看到了山肩,
Which had with consternation pierced my heart,
已经在那星光之下,
Upward I looked, and I beheld its shoulders,
照引着每条道路。
Vested already with the planet's rays
我的心湖稍微平静了些
Which leadeth others right by every road.
忍受着整夜的惧怕
Then was the fear a little quieted
我那么凄惨的经过,
That in my heart's lake had endured throughout
就像人喘息挣扎着,
The night, which I passed so piteously,
从海里爬上了岸,
And even as he, who, with distressful breath,
回望那危险的波浪,
Forth issued from the sea upon the shore,
我的灵魂,仍然向上飞翔,
Turns to the water perilous and gazes,
回顾所经过的
So did my soul, that still was fleeing onward,
从没有活人如此经历。
Turn itself back to re-behold the pass
Which never yet a living person left.