Once a dream did weave a shade,
曾有一个梦编着树荫,
O'er my angel-guarded bed,
在我那天使守护的床顶;
That an emmet lost its way
我看见一只迷路的蚂蚁,
Where on grass methought I lay.
在我所躺的那片草地。
Troubled, wildered and forlorn,
她苦恼,困惑,又孤凄,
Dark, benighted, travel-worn,
夜色昏黑,她力尽精疲;
Over many a tangled spray.
她翻过许多纠结的草茎,
All heart-broke I heard her say:
我听到她心胆俱裂的声音:
'Oh, my children, do they cry?
“我的孩子啊!他们在哭泣?
Do they hear their father sigh?
他们可听到父亲在叹息?
Now they look abroad to see,
他们一定四处去找我,
Now return and weep for me.'
然后回去,为我哭泣。”
Pitying, I dropped a tear;
我流下了眼泪,为她哀恸;
But I saw a glow-worm near,
但突然看到了一只萤火虫。
Who replied, 'What wailing wight
它应道:“是谁在哀哀地哭着,
Calls the watchman of the night?
哀哀地呼唤夜的巡察者?
'I am set to light the ground,
“我是被派来照亮地面的,
While the beetle goes his round.
还有甲虫在到处巡察;
Follow now the beetle's hum;
好了,循着甲虫的声音,
Little wanderer, hie thee home.'
小小迷路者,赶紧回家。”