Once a dream did weave a shade,
有一次,梦织成一个幻网,
O'er my angel-guarded bed,
笼罩着我那天使呵护着的床:
That an emmet lost its way
一只小蚂蚁迷失了方向
Where on grass methought I lay.
在我蒙蒙眬眬躺着的草地上。
Troubled, wildered and forlorn,
她焦急,踌躇又迷惘,
Dark, benighted, travel-worn,
烦恼,迷困,又慌张,
Over many a tangled spray.
在纠缠着的小枝间彷徨。
All heart-broke I heard her say:
我听见她呼唤,无限心伤。
'Oh, my children, do they cry?
“我的小孩们呵!他们可在嚷?
Do they hear their father sigh?
他们可听见天父在叹息?
Now they look abroad to see,
他们一会儿探头外,
Now return and weep for me.'
一会见又回头为我悲啼。”
Pitying, I dropped a tear;
我悲悯地掉了一滴泪;
But I saw a glow-worm near,
但我看见一个土萤走来,
Who replied, 'What wailing wight
他应声说:“谁在恸哭?
Calls the watchman of the night?
谁在呼唤守夜的更夫?
'I am set to light the ground,
“我被派来照亮地面,
While the beetle goes his round.
当金甲虫到处打转;
Follow now the beetle's hum;
现在,请跟着嗡嗡的金甲;
Little wanderer, hie thee home.'
小流浪者,赶快回家。”