雪地里一个小黑点,
A little black thing among the snow,
哭着“扫,扫”,叫人怜!
Crying "weep! 'weep!" in notes of woe!
“你的爹妈在哪儿?说呀!”
"Where are thy father and mother? say?"
“他们都去礼拜堂祈祷啦。
"They are both gone up to the church to pray.
“我在荒野里曾经很快乐,
Because I was happy upon the heath,
还在冬天的雪里欢笑,
And smil'd among the winter's snow,
他们就让我穿上黑衣,
They clothed me in the clothes of death,
叫我唱起悲伤的小调。
And taught me to sing the notes of woe.
“我还是快乐,又跳又唱,
And because I am happy and dance and sing,
爹妈就以为没把我害够,
They think they have done me no injury,
就去赞美上帝、神父和国王——
And are gone to praise God and his Priest and King,
是他们在我们的苦难上建起天堂。”
Who make up a heaven of our misery."