I was angry with my friend;
我对我的朋友生气:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
我说了出来,怒气使平息;
I was angry with my foe:
我对我的敌人生气:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
我怀恨在心,它滋长不已。
And I waterd it in fears,
于是我战战兢地
Night and morning with my tears:
早晚用我的眼泪灌溉它,
And I sunned it with smiles,
又用百端阴谋诡计
And with soft deceitful wiles.
和千般谄媚的巧笑晒它。
And it grew both day and night.
于是它日夜在生长,
Till it bore an apple bright.
结了一个苹果非常明亮,
And my foe beheld it shine,
我的敌人见它发光,
And he knew that it was mine.
并且知道它是我的宝藏,——
And into my garden stole,
于是偷进我的园里,
When the night had veild the pole;
当黑夜的幕笼罩着大地。
In the morning glad I see;
到早上我多么欢喜,
My foe outstretchd beneath the tree.
看见我敌人挺直在树底。