你那明如水晶的眼睛向我询问:
They say to me, thy clear and crystal eyes:
“我对你有什么价值,奇怪的朋友?”
“Why dost thou love me so, strange lover mine?”
——快乐吧,不要作声!除了太古野兽
Be sweet, be still! My heart and soul despise
那样的单纯,我这恼怒一切的心,
All save that antique brute-like faith of thine;
不愿对你透露它的可怕的隐衷
And will not bare the secret of their shame
和那用火焰写成的阴暗的奇闻,
To thee whose hand soothe me to slumbers long,
摇着我的摇篮催我长眠的女人。
Nor their black legend write for thee in flame!
我憎恨热情,我的精神使我苦痛!
Passion I hate, a spirit does me wrong.
我们安然相爱吧,小爱神丘比特,
Let us love gently. Love, from his retreat,
暗藏在哨所,张着命运的弓矢。
Ambushed and shadowy, bends his fatal bow,
我知道那古代武库里的武器:
And I too well his ancient arrows know:
罪恶、恐怖和疯狂!——哦,苍白的雏菊,
Crime, horror, folly. O pale Marguerite,
你我不都像秋季太阳已是迟暮?
Thou art as I, a bright sun fallen low,
哦,如此洁白而冷冷的玛格丽特!
O my so white, my so cold Marguerite.