整个上午我坐在学校校医室里,
I sat all morning in the college sick bay
数着宣告下课的一下下钟声。
Counting bells knelling classes to a close.
两点钟,我的邻居用车送我回家。
At two o'clock our neighbors drove me home.
在门廊里.我遇见父亲在哭泣——
In the porch I met my father crying--
平常遇到丧事,他总能从容对付——
He had always taken funerals in his stride--
大个子伊文斯说这是个严重打击。
And Big Jim Evans saying it was a hard blow.
我进屋时婴儿咕咕叫着,笑着
The baby cooed and laughed and rocked the pram
摆动摇篮,我感到窘迫
When I came in, and I was embarrassed
当老年人站起来和我握手,
By old men standing up to shake my hand
告诉我他们“为我受苦而难过”,
And tell me they were 'sorry for my trouble,'
有人低声对陌生人说,我是老大,
Whispers informed strangers I was the eldest,
在学校做事,我母亲握着我的手
Away at school, as my mother held my hand
边咳嗽边发出无泪的气愤的叹息。
In hers and coughed out angry tearless sighs.
十点钟,救护车到了,运来
At ten o'clock the ambulance arrived
护士们止了血、包扎好了的尸体。
With the corpse, stanched and bandaged by the nurses.
第二天早晨我走进屋去,雪花莲
Next morning I went up into the room. Snowdrops
和蜡烛使床榻得到慰藉。六周来
And candles soothed the bedside; I saw him
我还是第一次见到他。如今,脸苍白,
For the first time in six weeks. Paler now,
他左太阳穴上有紫色的血块,
Wearing a poppy bruise on his left temple,
他躺在四尺长的木箱里就像躺在儿童床里,
He lay in the four foot box as in his cot.
并无血淋淋的伤痕,汽车的保险杆利索地把他击
No gaudy scars, the bumper knocked him clear.
倒了。
A four foot box, a foot for every year.
一只四尺长的木箱,每年一尺长。