死后的生命张子清 译

Life after Death特德·休斯(Ted Hughes)


我能对你讲什么呢,
What can I tell you that you do not know
你不知道死后有生命?
Of the life after death?

你儿子的双眼有你斯拉夫和
Your son's eyes, which had unsettled us
亚洲的内眦赘皮,这使我们
With your Slavic Asiatic
很感不安,但会变成你的
Epicanthic fold, but would become
如此完美的眼睛,后来变成了
So perfectly your eyes,
湿润的宝石,
Became wet jewels,
最纯粹痛苦的最坚硬物质,
The hardest substance of the purest pain
那时他坐在高高的白椅子上,
As I fed him in his high white chair.
我喂着他吃。悲痛的大手挤着
Great hands of grief were wringing and wringing
挤着他的湿脸巾。大手挤干他的泪水。
His wet cloth of face. They wrung out his tears.
但他的嘴巴背叛了你——它接受了
But his mouth betrayed you - it accepted
我这只脱离现实的手中的餐匙,这只从
The spoon in my disembodied hand
比你活得长的生命中伸出来的手。
That reached through from the life that had survived you.

他的姐姐一天天长大了,
Day by day his sister grew
因这创伤而显得苍白,这个
Paler with the wound
她见不到摸不到感觉不到的创伤,
She could not see or touch or feel, as I dressed it
我每天给她穿蓝色布列塔上衣时敷裹它。
Each day with her blue Breton jacket.

夜里我躺在床上,醒在我的身体里,
By night I lay awake in my body
一个上了吊的人,
The Hanged Man
我颈神经被连根拔起,
My neck-nerve uprooted and the tendon
连结我头盖与左肩的腱
Which fastened the base of my skull
从肩头被扯断,缩成了
To my left shoulder
一团结——
Torn from its shoulder-root and cramped into knots -
我幻想我的这个痛苦
I fancied the pain could be explained
只有在我精神上用头颈吊在钩子上时
If I were hanging in the spirit
才能解释清楚。
From a hook under my neck-muscle.

我们这三个被生活丢弃的人
Dropped from life
在我们各自的小床上
We three made a deep silence
保持深沉的寂静。
In our separate cots.

我们被一只只狼所安慰。
We were comforted by wolves.
在那二月和三月的月下,
Under that February moon and the moon of March
动物园靠近了。
The Zoo had come close.
尽管在城市,
And in spite of the city
却有狼安慰着我们。每夜两三次,
Wolves consoled us. Two or three times each night
它们唱着,
For minutes on end
令人毛骨悚然达数分钟之久。
They sang. They had found where we lay.
它们发现了我们所躺的地方。
And the dingos, and the Brazilian-maned wolves -
澳洲野犬和巴西狼与北美的
All lifted their voices together
一群灰狼一道提高嗓门嚎叫。
With the grey Northern pack.

狼用它们拖长的声音鼓舞我们。
The wolves lifted us in their long voices.
在它们为你嚎叫和向我们致哀中,
They wound us and enmeshed us
它们伤害我们,缠住我们,它们狼化我们,
In their wailing for you, their mourning for us,
使我们发出狼声。我们躺在你的死亡里,
They wove us into their voices. We lay in your death,
在已落的雪中,正飘的雪下。
In the fallen snow, under falling snow,

当我的身体沉入这民间故事里时,
As my body sank into the folk-tale
故事里的狼正在森林里为两个婴儿
Where the wolves are singing in the forest
歌唱,他们在睡梦中
For two babes, who have turned, in their sleep
变成了孤儿,
Into orphans
睡在他们的母亲的尸体旁。
Beside the corpse of their mother.


添加译本