像是为要使我们的胃口大开,
Like as to make our appetites more keen
我们把辛辣的佐料送上舌端;
With eager compounds we our palate urge,
又像预防潜伏的疾病到来,
As to prevent our maladies unseen
我们服泻药,泻得委顿不堪;
We sicken to shun sickness when we purge:
同样的,饱饫了你永不变腻的温柔,
Even so, being full of your ne’er-cloying sweetness,
我就把苦汁当做了我的食粮;
To bitter sauces did I frame my feeding,
过度的幸福了,在不需要的时候,
And, sick of welfare, found a kind of meetness
我觉得也正不妨小病一场。
To be diseased ere that there was true needing.
于是,情场上的手段,原想预防
Thus policy in love,t’anticipate
未发生的毛病,惹出了真正的病症,
The ills that were not, grew to faults assured,
把健康之躯变成了医疗的对象,
And brought to medicine a healthful state
由于健康太多,求疾病来治病;
Which, rank of goodness, would by ill be cured.
但是从此我学到一项真的教训,
But thence I learn, and find the lesson true,
药能毒杀一个这样饱饫你的人。
Drugs poison him that so fell sick of you.