持有叶春 译

To hold李立扬


就算我们是尘土吧。而同时,妻子和我
So we're dust. In the meantime, my wife and I
在整理床铺,抓起床单对角
make the bed. Holding opposite edges of the sheet,
在空中抖动,拉直,
we raise it, billowing, then pull it tight,
平整地铺在我们之间,
measuring by eye as it falls into alignment
然后褶边、掖角。如果我幸运,
between us. We tug, fold, tuck. And if I'm lucky,
她会把刚做的梦讲给我听。
she'll remember a recent dream and tell me.

有一天,我们会躺下不再起来。
One day we'll lie down and not get up.
有一天,我们会失去所看守的一切。
One day, all we guard will be surendered.

但在那一天到来之前,我们将继续
Until then, we'll go on learning to recognize
学习认知我们爱的是什么,学习如何照料
what we love, and what it takes
不属于我们的东西。
to tend what isn't for our having.
常常,恐惧使我放弃
So often, fear has led me
我终须放弃的一切。但此刻,
to abandon what I know I must relinquish
我将倾听她的梦,
in time. But for the moment,
她也将倾听我的,我们彼此的倾听
I'll listen to her dream,
将愈来愈多的细节唤入
and she to mine, our mutual hearing calling
我们共同维护的、脆弱的光芒。
more and more detail into the light
of a joint and fragile keeping.


添加译本