Though neither you nor I saw flowering pistachio trees
儘管你我從未見過阿月渾子樹
in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, though neither
在巴比倫的空中花園開花,從未見過
you nor I saw the Tigris River stained with ink,
底格里斯河流出墨水,
though we never heard a pistachio shell dehisce,
儘管我們從未聽到阿月渾子輕輕裂開,
we have taken turns holding a panda as it munched
但我們輪流抱過一隻大聲咀嚼竹葉的
on bamboo leaves, and I know that rustle now.
貓熊,那沙沙聲依稀分明。
I have awakened beside you and inhaled August
在你身邊醒來,我從你的髮絲中
sunlight in your hair. I’ve listened to the scroll
嗅聞八月。我曾認真傾聽
and unscroll of your breath—dolphins arc along
你呼吸的畫卷開闔——海豚躍出水面
the surface between white-capped waves; here,
消失於弧線盡頭的白色浪花;多年前
years after we sifted yarrow and read from the Book
我們在這裏研讀易經推演蓍草,此時
of Changes, I mark the dissolving hues in the west
我注意到西天的色彩正在消散,
as the sky brightens above overhanging willows.
垂柳上空忽然明朗。
The panda fidgets as it pushes a stalk farther
貓熊扭動了起來,把一根竹莖
into its mouth. We step into a clearing with budding
塞進嘴裏。我們走入一塊空地,鷄油菌的菇蕾
chanterelles; and, though this space shrinks and
正從土地冒出;那麽,即便這壓縮的時空
is obscured in the traffic of a day, here is the anchor
被一整天的奔忙遮蔽,此刻依然是
I drop into the depths of teal water. I gaze deeply
鳬綠的深水處我的落錨點。我癡癡凝望
at the panda’s black patches around its eyes;
貓熊眼睛周圍的黑色圓圈;
how did it evolve from carnivore to eater of bamboo?
牠是怎樣從肉食動物進化到以竹為食?
So many transfigurations I will never fathom.
這麽多我無法測量的轉化。
The arc of our lives is a brightening then dimming,
我們生命的弧線不停明滅,
brightening then dimming—a woman catches
時明時滅——嗖地
fireflies in an orchard with the swish of a net.
一個女孩用網子捕到果園裏的螢火蟲。
I pick an openmouthed pistachio from a bowl
我拿起碗中一顆開口的阿月渾子
and crack it apart: a hint of Assyria spills
掰開它:亞述國的影子
into the alluvial fan of sunlight. I read spring in
湧出這日光的沖積扇。我在你呼吸的
autumn in the scroll of your breath; though
秋日畫卷中閲讀春天;儘管你我
neither you nor I saw the completion of the Great Wall,
從未見證長城的完工,我醒來,
I wake to the unrepeatable contour of this breath.
眼前是這不可重複的呼吸的等高線。