Snowy day—
在這個雪天
I can’t write mournful lines.
我無法寫出悲悼的詩句
On the bus back to Harbin
當坐在返回哈市的公共汽車上
all those icy miles,
一路上穿過寒冷和距離
snowbanks flashing past,
望著窗外一閃而過的積雪Q
I can’t grasp I’m leaving you forever,
我並沒有意識到正在永遠離開你
or rather you’re forever leaving us.
不,是你在永遠離開我們——
Someone coughs on the crowded bus,
車上擁擠,有人咳嗽著
its old engine’s breath drones thick and heavy.
老式馬達像濁重的呼吸
Your face yellow wax, like the death-veil after.
你臉色蠟黃,如同後來蓋著的壽布
In agony you passed the last days
在極度痛苦中度過生命最後的日子
of your fiftieth. Going over your life
50歲。當我細細回味著你的一生
I recall something long forgotten,
記起了一段早已遺忘的往事
that time at a movie
有一次我們去看電影
when the power cut,
突然斷電,你說,「真掃興
you said how shattering
留下一個空白的結局。」
to leave the end unfinished.
但這一次沒有人向你退票,以後的情節
Now no one to refund your ticket,
也無法預知
nor can the possible plot
be told.