BALLAD OF QUEEN’S PIER史春波, 乔治·奥康奈尔 译

皇后碼頭歌謠廖伟棠

Together we suffer cold wind, harsh rain.
Together we’re cloaked by stars, crowned by the moon.
—Chao Yiu-fai “The Queen’s Knaves”

共你淒風苦雨
共你披星戴月
——周耀輝《皇后大盜》


That night I saw a fisherman lower a white candle
那夜我看見一垂釣者把一根白燭
in deep water off the pier, lighting a path for the spirits.
放進碼頭前深水,給鬼魂們引路。
Woo-oo, I’m a breath of wind, loitering a moment, don’t want to leave.
嗚嗚,我是一陣風,在此縈繞不肯去。

That night I saw a chess player scrawl characters on a chessboard,
那夜我看見一弈棋者把棋盤填字,
like a Kowloon calligrapher’s sprawling script, each a mystery.
似是九龍墨蹟家譜零碎然而字字天書。
Woo-oo, I’m a breath of wind, loitering a moment, don’t want to leave.
嗚嗚,我是一陣風,在此縈繞不肯去。

That night I saw a dancer dance, her white dress
那夜我看見一舞者把一襲白裙
a flowing cloud, but overhead a gold monkey, glaring eyes, gnashing teeth.
舞成流雲,雲上有金猴怒目切齒。
Hoo-oosh, I’m a drizzle of rain, pattering, don’t want to leave.
吁吁,我是一陣雨,在此淅瀝不肯去。

That night I saw a widower drum a pot and sing,
那夜我看見一喪妻者鼓盆而歌,
clear and strong as forty years ago, a young man with no qualms.
歌聲清越仿如四十年前一少年無忌。
Hoo-oosh, I’m a drizzle of rain, pattering, don’t want to leave.
吁吁,我是一陣雨,在此淅瀝不肯去。

“Together we’re cloaked by stars, crowned by the moon.”
「共你披星戴月……」今夜我在碼頭燒信,
Tonight I’m burning letters at the pier,
羣魔在都市的千座針尖上升騰,
from a thousand building spires demons rise.
我共你煮雨焚風,喚一場熔爐中的飛霜。
Together we boil the rain, ignite the wind, conjure from a furnace winged frost.


咄咄,我是一個人,在此咬指、書空。
How absurd! I’m just one man, gnawing my fingers, scribbling in air.


添加译本