我向來只瞥見她轉身的一刻
I never glimpse her but she goes
剛才還在陽光下沐浴
Who had been basking in the sun,
身上的鎖子甲光輝熠熠
Her links of chain mail one by one
似白镴、青銅和玫瑰。
Aglint with pewter, bronze and rose.
我從未見她盤臥
I never see her lying coiled
在花園的石階上,或
Atop the garden step, or under
蜷曲的葉影裏,除非陰差陽錯
A dark leaf, unless I blunder
某種力量將她拖延。
And by some motion she is foiled.
太遲了,當我注意到她
Too late I notice as she passes
滑過齊特琴的半音音階——
Zither of chromatic scale—
我只窺見她的尾巴
I only ever see her tail
像水銀沒入高草。
Quicksilver into tall grasses.
我認識她,因為她流逝,
I know her only by her flowing,
因為她的光彩
By her glamour disappearing
總在我靠近時隱匿——
Into shadow as I’m nearing—
我只能認出她的背影。
I only recognize her going.