A Secret Life斯蒂芬·邓恩

秘密生活唐小兵 译


Why you need to have one
你需要有秘密生活,其原因
is not much more mysterious than
并不比你看到一个刚出生的丑陋婴儿
why you don't say what you think
却不直言心中所想的道理
at the birth of an ugly baby.
更神秘莫测。
Or, you've just made love
或者,刚做完爱
and feel you'd rather have been
但你宁愿刚才是身处
in a dark booth where your partner
幽暗的小包间里,
was nodding, whispering yes, yes,
你的伴侣频频点头,轻声说好,好,
you're brilliant. The secret life
你真棒。秘密生活
begins early, is kept alive
很早就会开始,会因为你身上
by all that's unpopular
不合时宜的一切,还会因为
in you, all that you know
你明明知道某个浸会教徒或另外某个
a Baptist, say, or some other
专门记账的人会反感的一切
accountant would object to.
而生生不息。
It becomes what you'd most protect
你会千方百计地保护它,
if the government said you can protect
如果政府说你只可以保护
one thing, all else is ours.
一个东西,其余都是我们的。
When you write late at night
当你在深夜写作,
it's like a small fire
它就像空地里的
in a clearing, it's what
一小簇篝火,它
radiates and what can hurt
散发光芒,也会把你灼伤
if you get too close to it.
若是凑得太近。
It's why your silence is a kind of truth.
这就是为什么你的沉默也是一种真话。
Even when you speak to your best friend,
甚至当你跟最好的朋友交谈
the one who'll never betray you,
一个永远都不会出卖你的朋友
you always leave out one thing;
总有一件事你会避而不谈:
a secret life is that important.
私密生活就是如此重要。


添加译本