A blackbird sat on the TV antenna
一隻黑鳥棲息在電視天線上,
and sang a gentle, jazzy tune.
唱著溫柔、爵士樂般的曲子。
Whom have you lost, I asked, what do you mourn?
你失去誰,我問,你哀悼什麽?
I’m taking leave of those who’ve gone, the blackbird said,
我在告別那些去世的人,黑鳥說,
I’m parting with the day (its eyes and lashes),
我在告別這一天(它的眼和睫),
I mourn a girl who lived in Thrace,
我哀悼一個住在色雷斯的女孩,
you wouldn’t know her.
你不會認識她。
I’m sorry for the willow, killed by frost.
我為那株凍死的柳樹感到難過。
I weep, since all things pass and alter
我流淚,因為一切事物消逝、改變
and return, but always in a different form.
又重返,但永遠以另一種方式。
My narrow throat can barely hold
我狹窄的喉嚨幾乎承受不了
the grief, despair, delight, and pride
這些急速轉變所帶來的
occasioned by such sweeping transformations.
悲傷、絕望、愉悅和驕傲。
A funeral cortege passes up ahead,
一個送葬行列從前面經過,
the same each evening, there, on the horizon’s thread.
每個黃昏都是如此,在那兒,在地平線上。
Everyone’s there, I see them all and bid farewell.
每個人都在那兒,我看見他們並說再見。
I see the swords, hats, kerchiefs, and bare feet,
我看見劍、帽、頭巾和赤腳,
guns, blood, and ink. They walk slowly
槍、血和墨水。他們慢慢地走,
and vanish in the river mist, on the right bank.
消失在河流的霧靄裏,在右岸上。
I say goodbye to them and you and the light,
我告別他們和你和光,
and then I greet the night, since I serve her—
然後迎接黑夜,因為我服侍她——
and black silks, black powers.
還有黑絲綢、黑力量。