防空壕孙文波

Air Raid Shelter史春波, 乔治·奥康奈尔 译


讓我怎麼說呢?報紙上強調
How should I tell it? The papers warned
威脅來自北方和南方,來自天空。
of danger north and south,
在居委會老太太帶領下,我們在院子中
and from the sky. The block leaders,
挖防空壕。儘管我們的心裏懷疑
old women, showed how to dig
這幾米深的壕溝能否保護生命,
a shelter in the yard, though we doubted
仍然挖掘不停。直到有一天,
a three meter ditch could save anyone.
在我們的挖掘中一具棺材浮現出來,
But we kept digging
它已經腐朽,在鐵鎬的輕碰下頃刻間便破碎了。
till one day we struck a coffin,
躺在棺材中的沒有皮肉的骷髏暴露
the rotten lid giving way
在我們的眼裏:肋骨已經散架,
at the first touch of the spade.
頭顱上兩個眼眶的黑洞彷彿
Inside, a leathery skeleton,
深不可測的枯井。這是我第一次
tumbled ribs, eyes like dark dry wells.
看見棺材和死亡的形象。空氣被它散發
My first real taste of death,
的惡臭彌漫,使我丟掉鐵鎬,
its stench. I dropped the spade and ran.
跑得遠遠的。我把這看作不祥遭遇。
After that, I steered clear of the place
那以後,路過這段防空壕,
as if I could shun the dead.
我都要繞道,似乎這樣能繞開死者。

注:二十世紀六十年代,在報紙的不斷報道中,對戰爭隨時會降臨的擔憂,使挖防空壕成為當時全民必須參預的任務。如今,我們仍能看到一些廢棄的防空壕。


添加译本