1.
1.
我坐在妳身邊
I sit at your side
觀看意識的潮水
watching the tides of consciousness
起落,觀看
move in and out, watching
護士們,白帽
the nurses, their caps
如一眾海鷗盤旋
like so many white gulls circling
於床上。窗戶
the bed. The window
慢慢變暗,
grows slowly dark
然後點亮,
and light again,
再變暗。鐘表
and dark. The clock
訴說相同的故事。
tells the same old stories.
上個星期妳說,現在
Last week you said, now
妳必須學習
you’ll have to learn
自己縫紉。
to sew for yourself.
如果線令人厭倦,
If the thread is boredom,
針就是悲痛。
the needle is grief.
我坐在這裏借鑒。
I sit here learning.
2.
2.
頂替春天
In place of spring
我獻上這枝
I offer this branch
連翹,
of forsythia
它黃豔的花簇
whose yellow blossoms
我強使開放。
I have forced.
妳擠出一個微笑
You force a smile
表示感謝。外面
in thanks. Outside
依然寒冷;
it is still cold;
誰知道嚴寒
who knows how long
會持續多久?
the cold will last?
而在地下,
But underground,
它們旗幟蜷曲,
their banners still furled,
花的大軍在候命。
whole armies of flowers wait.
3.
3.
我正等待妳死去,
I am waiting for you to die,
儘管我試圖哄妳
even as I try to coax you
回到生活
back to life
用蛋撻和湯羹
with custards and soup
還有彩色的藥片彷彿
and colored pills I shake
骰子在瓶中晃動,
from the bottle like dice,
儘管它們的魔力
though their magic
已隨外科醫生父親,
went out of the world
那最後的魔術師
with my surgeon father,
走出這個世界。
the last magician.
我正等待
I am waiting
妳再次成為
for you to be again
妳曾經所是,
what you always were,
完整地在那兒
for you to be there whole
好讓我帶著新的痛苦跑過去——
for me to run to with this new grief—
妳的死——頭髮向後生長
your death—the hair grown back
在妳的顱骨上一如既往,
on your skull the way it used to be,
妳寡婦的頂峰,我童年地圖上
your widow’s peak the one sure landmark
可靠的地標,
on the map of my childhood,
那些年我曾相信
those years when I believed
藥和愛和善良
that medicine and love and being good
可以挽救一切人。
could save us all.
4.
4.
我們逃離母親
We escape from our mothers
一次又一次,年輕的
again and again, young
胡迪尼,習慣了日間表演。
Houdinis, playing the usual matinees.
起先逃出
First comes escape down
生產的運河,我們新鮮刻造的臉龐
the birth canal, our newly carved faces
像古老的奴隸船頭
leading the way like figureheads
領航的雕像,
on ancient slaveships,
小手劃呀劃向生命。
our small hands rowing for life.
後來逃入寂靜,逃到
Later escape into silence, escape
砰然關響的門後,
behind slammed doors,
婚姻的試航。
the flight into marriage.
我以為我年歲已夠
I thought I was finally old enough
可與妳並坐,分享一本書。
to sit with you, sharing a book.
但是當我從書頁間
But when I look up
抬起頭,妳已
from the page, you
從我逃遁。
have escaped from me.