1.
1.
I sit at your side
我坐在妳身邊
watching the tides of consciousness
觀看意識的潮水
move in and out, watching
起落,觀看
the nurses, their caps
護士們,白帽
like so many white gulls circling
如一眾海鷗盤旋
the bed. The window
於床上。窗戶
grows slowly dark
慢慢變暗,
and light again,
然後點亮,
and dark. The clock
再變暗。鐘表
tells the same old stories.
訴說相同的故事。
Last week you said, now
上個星期妳說,現在
you’ll have to learn
妳必須學習
to sew for yourself.
自己縫紉。
If the thread is boredom,
如果線令人厭倦,
the needle is grief.
針就是悲痛。
I sit here learning.
我坐在這裏借鑒。
2.
2.
In place of spring
頂替春天
I offer this branch
我獻上這枝
of forsythia
連翹,
whose yellow blossoms
它黃豔的花簇
I have forced.
我強使開放。
You force a smile
妳擠出一個微笑
in thanks. Outside
表示感謝。外面
it is still cold;
依然寒冷;
who knows how long
誰知道嚴寒
the cold will last?
會持續多久?
But underground,
而在地下,
their banners still furled,
它們旗幟蜷曲,
whole armies of flowers wait.
花的大軍在候命。
3.
3.
I am waiting for you to die,
我正等待妳死去,
even as I try to coax you
儘管我試圖哄妳
back to life
回到生活
with custards and soup
用蛋撻和湯羹
and colored pills I shake
還有彩色的藥片彷彿
from the bottle like dice,
骰子在瓶中晃動,
though their magic
儘管它們的魔力
went out of the world
已隨外科醫生父親,
with my surgeon father,
那最後的魔術師
the last magician.
走出這個世界。
I am waiting
我正等待
for you to be again
妳再次成為
what you always were,
妳曾經所是,
for you to be there whole
完整地在那兒
for me to run to with this new grief—
好讓我帶著新的痛苦跑過去——
your death—the hair grown back
妳的死——頭髮向後生長
on your skull the way it used to be,
在妳的顱骨上一如既往,
your widow’s peak the one sure landmark
妳寡婦的頂峰,我童年地圖上
on the map of my childhood,
可靠的地標,
those years when I believed
那些年我曾相信
that medicine and love and being good
藥和愛和善良
could save us all.
可以挽救一切人。
4.
4.
We escape from our mothers
我們逃離母親
again and again, young
一次又一次,年輕的
Houdinis, playing the usual matinees.
胡迪尼,習慣了日間表演。
First comes escape down
起先逃出
the birth canal, our newly carved faces
生產的運河,我們新鮮刻造的臉龐
leading the way like figureheads
像古老的奴隸船頭
on ancient slaveships,
領航的雕像,
our small hands rowing for life.
小手劃呀劃向生命。
Later escape into silence, escape
後來逃入寂靜,逃到
behind slammed doors,
砰然關響的門後,
the flight into marriage.
婚姻的試航。
I thought I was finally old enough
我以為我年歲已夠
to sit with you, sharing a book.
可與妳並坐,分享一本書。
But when I look up
但是當我從書頁間
from the page, you
抬起頭,妳已
have escaped from me.
從我逃遁。