If there's a next life, I sometimes think
我常常想,如果有來生,
I won't be a poet.
我下一輩子就不做詩人了。
No regrets being one. I simply am,
我不是後悔今生做詩人。不,我做定了。
and must fulfill my fate.
我是帶著使命的,必須把它完成。
If I could choose a future life, I'd rather
但如果有來生,如果有得選擇,
not think so much
我下輩子要做一個不用思考的人,
but serve others honestly, with acts,
我會心誠意悅地服務人群,不用文字,
not words: a streetcorner cobbler, a waiter,
而用實際行動:一個街頭補鞋匠,一個餐廳侍應,
a porter opening hotel doors, carrying luggage.
一個替人開門提行李的酒店服務員。
I'd be more dutiful to my parents,
我會更孝敬父母,更愛妻女,更關心朋友。
more loving to my wife and daughter, more caring of friends.
我會走更多的路,爬更多的山,養更多的狗,
I'd walk more roads, climb more mountains, raise more dogs,
把一條條街上一家家餐館都吃遍。
try the restaurants on every street.
我將不抽煙,不喝咖啡,早睡早起。
I won't smoke or drink coffee. I'll go to bed early and rise at dawn.
我可以更清貧,永遠穿同一件外衣;
If I've less money, I'll wear one coat.
也可以更富裕,把錢都散給窮苦人,
If more money, I'll give everything to the poor
自己變回清貧,永遠穿同一件外衣。
and be poor again, all in the same coat.
一個擁有我現在的心靈和智慧
How happy to keep
又不用閱讀思考寫作的人
my own soul and wisdom
該有多幸福呀。我將不用讚美陽光
but not have to think or write. I'll no longer sing of the sun,
而好好享受陽光。我將不用歌頌人
just enjoy it. Instead of praising, I'll become
而做我所歌頌的人。
the people I praise.