To pull the metal splinter from my palm
要帮我拔出手掌上的小铁刺,
my father recited a story in a low voice.
父亲轻声讲个故事。
I watched his lovely face and not the blade.
我看他耐看的脸,没看刀片。
Before the story ended, he’d removed
故事还没讲完,那根铁刺已经
the iron sliver I thought I’d die from.
被他剔除,原本我还担心我会死。
I can’t remember the tale,
but hear his voice still, a well
那故事我已经不记得,
of dark water, a prayer.
但他的嗓音我还能听见,那是一口
And I recall his hands,
蓄着黑水的井,一个祈祷。
two measures of tenderness
我回想着他的手:
he laid against my face,
他量好的两份温情,
the flames of discipline
轻放在我脸上,
he raised above my head.
他上规矩的火焰,
Had you entered that afternoon
举在我头上方。
you would have thought you saw a man
planting something in a boy’s palm,
如果你那个下午在场,
a silver tear, a tiny flame.
你会以为你看到了一个男人
Had you followed that boy
在一个男孩手掌里种东西,
you would have arrived here,
一颗银泪珠,一支小火苗。
where I bend over my wife’s right hand.
假如你跟着那男孩,
Look how I shave her thumbnail down
你就会到达这里,
so carefully she feels no pain.
看到我在妻子右手上方俯着身。
Watch as I lift the splinter out.
I was seven when my father
看我怎么为她锉短拇指的指甲,
took my hand like this,
很小心,她一点也不痛。
and I did not hold that shard
看着我怎么把刺拉出来。
between my fingers and think,
父亲那样抓住我的手,
Metal that will bury me,
当时我七岁,
christen it Little Assassin,
我没有把那一小片东西
Ore Going Deep for My Heart.
捏在手指间审思:
And I did not lift up my wound and cry,
"这是会埋葬我的铁刺",
Death visited here!
我没赐予它"小刺客"的名,
I did what a child does
称为"扎入心底的铁"。
when he’s given something to keep.
我没有高举伤口哀号,
I kissed my father.
"死神莅临此处!"
我的反应像每个孩子一样,
得到了一件值得保存的东西。
我亲了我父亲。