To hold李立扬

持有叶春 译


So we're dust. In the meantime, my wife and I
就算我们是尘土吧。而同时,妻子和我
make the bed. Holding opposite edges of the sheet,
在整理床铺,抓起床单对角
we raise it, billowing, then pull it tight,
在空中抖动,拉直,
measuring by eye as it falls into alignment
平整地铺在我们之间,
between us. We tug, fold, tuck. And if I'm lucky,
然后褶边、掖角。如果我幸运,
she'll remember a recent dream and tell me.
她会把刚做的梦讲给我听。

One day we'll lie down and not get up.
有一天,我们会躺下不再起来。
One day, all we guard will be surendered.
有一天,我们会失去所看守的一切。

Until then, we'll go on learning to recognize
但在那一天到来之前,我们将继续
what we love, and what it takes
学习认知我们爱的是什么,学习如何照料
to tend what isn't for our having.
不属于我们的东西。
So often, fear has led me
常常,恐惧使我放弃
to abandon what I know I must relinquish
我终须放弃的一切。但此刻,
in time. But for the moment,
我将倾听她的梦,
I'll listen to her dream,
她也将倾听我的,我们彼此的倾听
and she to mine, our mutual hearing calling
将愈来愈多的细节唤入
more and more detail into the light
我们共同维护的、脆弱的光芒。
of a joint and fragile keeping.


添加译本