Okay, not one can write a symphony, or a dictionary,
好吧,没有一棵树能给一位老朋友写一首交响乐,
or even a letter to an old friend, full of remembrance
或者一本字典,或者哪怕一封信,充满回忆
and comfort.
与安慰。
Not one can manage a single sound though the blue jays
如果不是风的摇动,没有一棵树
carp and whistle all day in the branches, without
能发出一点声音,虽然蓝松鸦
the push of the wind.
整天在枝条上叽叽喳喳。
But to tell the truth after a while I"m pale with longing
但是说实话,没过多久,我就感到软弱,渴望
for their thick bodies ruckled with lichen
它们覆盖着青苔的粗大躯干。
and you can"t keep me from the woods, from the tonnage
而你不能阻止我进入树林,进入他们
of their shoulders, and their shining green hair.
厚实的肩膀,进入他们亮闪闪的绿头发。
Today is a day like any other: twenty-four hours, a
今天和其他日子相似:二十四小时,
little sunshine, a little rain.
一点阳光,一点雨。
Listen, says ambition, nervously shifting her weight from
听着,野心一边说,一边紧张地将她身体的重心,
one boot to another -- why don"t you get going?
从一只脚移到另一只脚——为什么你不继续向前走?
For there I am, in the mossy shadows, under the trees.
因为我在那里了,在长满青苔的阴影中,在树下了。
And to tell the truth I don"t want to let go of the wrists
说实话,我不想松开懒散的
of idleness, I don"t want to sell my life for money,
手,我不想为钱出卖我的生活。
I don"t even want to come in out of the rain.
我甚至不想离开雨。