我想和你一起变老。
I want to grow old with you.
老,老到不行。
Old, old.
老到在超市里蹒跚而行,
So old we pad through the supermarket
用购物车做支撑我们的拐杖。
using the shopping cart as a cane that steadies us.
我会在二号收银台等你,
I’ll wait at register two in my green sweater
穿着我的绿色毛衣,胳膊肘都磨破了
with threadbare elbows, smiling
笑着,因为你忘了那袋隔夜的糕点。
because you’ve forgotten the bag of day-old pastries.
收银员会给我讲一个关于理发师的笑话,
The cashier will tell me a joke about barbers as I wait.
他把第一句重复了三遍,
He repeats the first line three times
我只听懂了“理发师”。
but the only word I understand is barber.
这些年来,我们渐渐察觉到
Over the years we’ve caught inklings
我们日渐萎缩的身躯和佝偻的背影。
of our shrinking frames and hunched spines.
你有点糊涂了,
You’re a little confused
在错误的收银台找我,
looking for me at the wrong register with a bag
手里紧紧攥着一袋快要过期的羊角面包。
of almost-stale croissants clenched in your hand.
第一次牵你的手,感觉它在我手中无比巨大。
The first time I held your hand it felt enormous in my own.
大脚怪,我曾经这样嘲弄你,仿佛在一百万年前。
Sasquatch, I teased you, a million years ago.
我在这边,我喊道,但不是生气地喊。
Over here, I yell, but not in a mad way.
我们在笑。
We’re laughing.
你的外套上别着一枚鲜黄色的徽章,上面写着“Shalom!”(注1)
You have a bright yellow pin on your coat that says, Shalom!
老年折扣,你说。
Senior Discount, you say.
但收银员已经认识我们了。
But the cashier already knows us.
我们是大家最喜欢的顾客。
We’re everyone’s favorite customers.
译注1:Shalom 是希伯来语的“和平”的意思,是美国比较常用的问候语之一。