我走去面包店
I walked to the baker’s
一路想着面包。
and thought about the bread.
还在拐角的店
And at the corner store
卖黄油。有四种不同的黄油噢!
the butter. Four kinds of butter!
我根据咸度
I bought them in order
把它们排成串。我偷偷地
of saltiness. I studied slang
学习当地土语。但是很少说话。
in secret. I said little.
我的学生们
And my students were
都那么漂亮
so beautiful
我能教的不多
I couldn’t teach a thing.
于是就让他们唱歌。
Instead I made them sing.
二十出头。没啥事由。
Twenty-two. Nothing to do.
纽约被我抛弃,
New York had vanished,
康州也随风而去。
Connecticut, too.
我的学生们一直唱歌,
My students grew hair
他们的头发短了又长,
and got haircuts, grew hair
长了又短。
and got haircuts, and sang.
我要躺在床上撸一管
I’d lie in bed and masturbate
然后问问自己为啥要干这个
and wonder why I’d come,
一而再,再而三
and come and come again
之后起来买面包再跑几圈。
and then rise for some bread and a run.
这个村庄会永世长存吗?它一定行。
Does the village persist? It must.
就在此时,有的人咕哝着“没家的男人”
Right now, someone hums “Nowhere Man”
曼哈顿奥尔良还是贝莱尔——
and thinks of that shy teacher from—
这个害羞的老师是哪来的呀?
Manhattan? New Orleans? Bel Air?
而她在梳自己一直在变长的头发。
And she brushes her lengthening hair.