What can I tell you that you do not know
我能对你讲什么呢,
Of the life after death?
你不知道死后有生命?
Your son's eyes, which had unsettled us
你儿子的双眼有你斯拉夫和
With your Slavic Asiatic
亚洲的内眦赘皮,这使我们
Epicanthic fold, but would become
很感不安,但会变成你的
So perfectly your eyes,
如此完美的眼睛,后来变成了
Became wet jewels,
湿润的宝石,
The hardest substance of the purest pain
最纯粹痛苦的最坚硬物质,
As I fed him in his high white chair.
那时他坐在高高的白椅子上,
Great hands of grief were wringing and wringing
我喂着他吃。悲痛的大手挤着
His wet cloth of face. They wrung out his tears.
挤着他的湿脸巾。大手挤干他的泪水。
But his mouth betrayed you - it accepted
但他的嘴巴背叛了你——它接受了
The spoon in my disembodied hand
我这只脱离现实的手中的餐匙,这只从
That reached through from the life that had survived you.
比你活得长的生命中伸出来的手。
Day by day his sister grew
他的姐姐一天天长大了,
Paler with the wound
因这创伤而显得苍白,这个
She could not see or touch or feel, as I dressed it
她见不到摸不到感觉不到的创伤,
Each day with her blue Breton jacket.
我每天给她穿蓝色布列塔上衣时敷裹它。
By night I lay awake in my body
夜里我躺在床上,醒在我的身体里,
The Hanged Man
一个上了吊的人,
My neck-nerve uprooted and the tendon
我颈神经被连根拔起,
Which fastened the base of my skull
连结我头盖与左肩的腱
To my left shoulder
从肩头被扯断,缩成了
Torn from its shoulder-root and cramped into knots -
一团结——
I fancied the pain could be explained
我幻想我的这个痛苦
If I were hanging in the spirit
只有在我精神上用头颈吊在钩子上时
From a hook under my neck-muscle.
才能解释清楚。
Dropped from life
我们这三个被生活丢弃的人
We three made a deep silence
在我们各自的小床上
In our separate cots.
保持深沉的寂静。
We were comforted by wolves.
我们被一只只狼所安慰。
Under that February moon and the moon of March
在那二月和三月的月下,
The Zoo had come close.
动物园靠近了。
And in spite of the city
尽管在城市,
Wolves consoled us. Two or three times each night
却有狼安慰着我们。每夜两三次,
For minutes on end
它们唱着,
They sang. They had found where we lay.
令人毛骨悚然达数分钟之久。
And the dingos, and the Brazilian-maned wolves -
它们发现了我们所躺的地方。
All lifted their voices together
澳洲野犬和巴西狼与北美的
With the grey Northern pack.
一群灰狼一道提高嗓门嚎叫。
The wolves lifted us in their long voices.
狼用它们拖长的声音鼓舞我们。
They wound us and enmeshed us
在它们为你嚎叫和向我们致哀中,
In their wailing for you, their mourning for us,
它们伤害我们,缠住我们,它们狼化我们,
They wove us into their voices. We lay in your death,
使我们发出狼声。我们躺在你的死亡里,
In the fallen snow, under falling snow,
在已落的雪中,正飘的雪下。
As my body sank into the folk-tale
当我的身体沉入这民间故事里时,
Where the wolves are singing in the forest
故事里的狼正在森林里为两个婴儿
For two babes, who have turned, in their sleep
歌唱,他们在睡梦中
Into orphans
变成了孤儿,
Beside the corpse of their mother.
睡在他们的母亲的尸体旁。