Tom-tom, c’est moi. The blue guitar
咚-咚,是我。蓝色吉他
And I are one. The orchestra
与我合而为一。管弦乐队
Fills the high hall with shuffling men
用脚步拖沓、高如厅堂的男人
High as the hall. The whirling noise
充斥高大的厅堂。诸多旋转的噪音,
Of a multitude dwindles, all said.
一切言语,减弱,
To his breath that lies awake at night.
化为整夜无眠的他的呼吸。
I know that timid breathing. Where
我知道那胆怯的呼吸。我从何处开始
Do I begin and end? And where.
何处结束?当我弹奏事物时,
As I strum the thing, do I pick up
我从何处捕捉
That which momentously declares
那严肃地宣称
Itself not to be I and yet
不是我却又
Must be. It could be nothing else.
必须是我的事物。它不可能是别的什么。