寓言光诸 译

Fable拉尔夫·沃尔多·爱默生


大山和小松鼠
The mountain and the squirrel
发生了争吵;
Had a quarrel;
大山说:“你个小东西,不知自己几斤几两!”
And the former called the latter ‘Little Prig.’
小松鼠说,
Bun replied,
“你无疑是很大的;
‘You are doubtless very big;
但世间万物风云冷暖,
But all sorts of things and weather
必须要熔于一炉,
Must be taken in together,
才能有年岁更叠,
To make up a year
宇宙回转。
And a sphere.
所以我处在这个位置
And I think it no disgrace
并不觉得有什么丢脸。
To occupy my place.
或许我不像你那么庞大,
If I’m not so large as you,
你也并不像我这么娇小,
You are not so small as I,
要比活泼的话更不及我的一半。
And not half so spry.
我并不否认
I’ll not deny you make
你给我准备了漂亮的鼠道;
A very pretty squirrel track;
​但天赋千差万别,每一种都是上天善意和智慧的安排;
Talents differ; all is well and wisely put;
或许我并不能背负整片树林,
If I cannot carry forests on my back,
你也没本事剥开一个坚果。”
Neither can you crack a nut.’


添加译本