Fable拉尔夫·沃尔多·爱默生

寓言光诸 译


The mountain and the squirrel
大山和小松鼠
Had a quarrel;
发生了争吵;
And the former called the latter ‘Little Prig.’
大山说:“你个小东西,不知自己几斤几两!”
Bun replied,
小松鼠说,
‘You are doubtless very big;
“你无疑是很大的;
But all sorts of things and weather
但世间万物风云冷暖,
Must be taken in together,
必须要熔于一炉,
To make up a year
才能有年岁更叠,
And a sphere.
宇宙回转。
And I think it no disgrace
所以我处在这个位置
To occupy my place.
并不觉得有什么丢脸。
If I’m not so large as you,
或许我不像你那么庞大,
You are not so small as I,
你也并不像我这么娇小,
And not half so spry.
要比活泼的话更不及我的一半。
I’ll not deny you make
我并不否认
A very pretty squirrel track;
你给我准备了漂亮的鼠道;
Talents differ; all is well and wisely put;
​但天赋千差万别,每一种都是上天善意和智慧的安排;
If I cannot carry forests on my back,
或许我并不能背负整片树林,
Neither can you crack a nut.’
你也没本事剥开一个坚果。”


添加译本