You said: “I’ll find a new land, find another sea—
你说,”我要去另一个国度,另一片海洋
A new city’ll turn up, a better one than this.
去找另一个城市,比现在这个强
Every effort I make is condemned, turns out amiss,
在这里我无论怎样努力,命运总是将我击败
While my heart, like a corpse, lies buried deep,
它把我的心──像一具死尸那样──埋葬
And my mind—how long will my mind stay sunk in stagnant sleep?
还要多久,我的灵魂才能摆脱这片荒野
Here, wherever I look, wherever I turn my gaze
举目四望,所见一切
I see the blackened wreck of all my days,
无非是我生命的黑色废墟
So many years spent, ruined, lost by me.”
那被我荒度和摧毁了的岁月”
There are no new places you’ll find, you’ll catch no other tide.
你找不到另一个国度,另一片海洋
This city will follow you. The streets you tread
这城市将尾随着你。你逛的小巷还是同样的小巷
Will be the same, it’s in these same houses your head
你住在同样的街区上,生活、衰老
Will turn grey, in the same neighborhoods that you’ll age.
住在同样的房子里,直至白发苍苍
Always you’ll end up in this city. Don’t hope to turn the page
你到达的城市永远是同一个。别指望别样──
To an Elsewhere for which there’s no ship for you, no road shows clear.
没有船只等你起航,没有道路待你远行
Just as you destroyed your life back here
在这个角落里你毁坏了你的生命
In this tiny retreat, so you ruined it world-wide.
等于是在整个世界里毁坏了它