You said: “I’ll find a new land, find another sea—
你说:“我要去另一块土地,我将去另一片大海。
A new city’ll turn up, a better one than this.
另一座城市,比这更好的城市,将被发现。
Every effort I make is condemned, turns out amiss,
我的每一项努力都是对命运的谴责;
While my heart, like a corpse, lies buried deep,
而我的心被埋葬了,像一具尸体。
And my mind—how long will my mind stay sunk in stagnant sleep?
在这座荒原上,我的神思还要坚持多久?
Here, wherever I look, wherever I turn my gaze
无论我的脸朝向哪里,无论我的视线投向何方,
I see the blackened wreck of all my days,
我在此看到的尽是我生命的黑色废墟。
So many years spent, ruined, lost by me.”
多年以来,我在此毁灭自己,虚掷自己。”
There are no new places you’ll find, you’ll catch no other tide.
你会发现没有新的土地,你会发现没有别的大海。
This city will follow you. The streets you tread
这城市将尾随着你,你游荡的街道
Will be the same, it’s in these same houses your head
将一仍其旧,你老去,周围将是同样的邻居;
Will turn grey, in the same neighborhoods that you’ll age.
这些房屋也将一仍其旧,你将在其中白发丛生。
Always you’ll end up in this city. Don’t hope to turn the page
你将到达的永远是同一座城市,别指望还有他乡。
To an Elsewhere for which there’s no ship for you, no road shows clear.
没有渡载你的船,没有供你行走的道路,
Just as you destroyed your life back here
你既已毁掉你的生活,在这小小的角落,
In this tiny retreat, so you ruined it world-wide.
你便已经毁掉了它,在整个世界。