You said, “I will go to another place, to another shore.
你说:“我要去另一块土地,我将去另一片大海。
Another city can be found that’s better than this.
另一座城市,比这更好的城市,将被发现。
All that I struggle for is doomed, condemned to failure;
我的每一项努力都是对命运的谴责;
and my heart is like a corpse interred.
而我的心被埋葬了,像一具尸体。
How long will my mind stagger under this misery?
在这座荒原上,我的神思还要坚持多久?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look
无论我的脸朝向哪里,无论我的视线投向何方,
I see the blackened ruins of my life,
我在此看到的尽是我生命的黑色废墟。
which for years on end I squandered and wrecked and ravaged”.
多年以来,我在此毁灭自己,虚掷自己。”
You will find no other place, no other shores.
你会发现没有新的土地,你会发现没有别的大海。
This city will possess you, and you’ll wander the same
这城市将尾随着你,你游荡的街道
streets. In these same neighborhoods you’ll grow old;
将一仍其旧,你老去,周围将是同样的邻居;
in these same houses you’ll turn gray.
这些房屋也将一仍其旧,你将在其中白发丛生。
Always you’ll return to this city. Don’t even hope for another.
你将到达的永远是同一座城市,别指望还有他乡。
There’s no boat for you, there’s no other way out.
没有渡载你的船,没有供你行走的道路,
In the way you’ve destroyed your life here,
你既已毁掉你的生活,在这小小的角落,
in this little corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere else.
你便已经毁掉了它,在整个世界。