The City埃德蒙·基利, Philip Sherrard 译

城市西川 译


You said: “I’ll go to another country, go to another shore,
你说:“我要去另一块土地,我将去另一片大海。
find another city better than this one.
另一座城市,比这更好的城市,将被发现。
Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong
我的每一项努力都是对命运的谴责;
and my heart lies buried like something dead.
而我的心被埋葬了,像一具尸体。
How long can I let my mind moulder in this place?
在这座荒原上,我的神思还要坚持多久?
Wherever I turn, wherever I look,
无论我的脸朝向哪里,无论我的视线投向何方,
I see the black ruins of my life, here,
我在此看到的尽是我生命的黑色废墟。
where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.”
多年以来,我在此毁灭自己,虚掷自己。”

You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
你会发现没有新的土地,你会发现没有别的大海。
This city will always pursue you.
这城市将尾随着你,你游荡的街道
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old
将一仍其旧,你老去,周围将是同样的邻居;
in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses.
这些房屋也将一仍其旧,你将在其中白发丛生。
You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere:
你将到达的永远是同一座城市,别指望还有他乡。
there’s no ship for you, there’s no road.
没有渡载你的船,没有供你行走的道路,
Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner,
你既已毁掉你的生活,在这小小的角落,
you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.
你便已经毁掉了它,在整个世界。


添加译本